In Honor of National Service Day

In honor of National Service Day, YESCO Greenville (South Carolina) reached out to Haven of Rest to see if the ministry had any needs that could be served. The recovery program is a bible-based charity designed to rescue, restore, and release men and women facing life-dominating problems related to addictions and homelessness.

YESCO was asked to repair a non-functioning light on a flag pole at the housing campus. Technician Shane was able to locate the underground power supply, install a LED flood light and illuminate the American flag.

The employees are grateful to be able to give back to an organization that has and continues to help many individuals in the Upstate community.

Mark Harmsen, General Manager, YESCO San Diego

YESCO, the nationally renowned sign service and lighting company with locations around the country, announces Mark Harmsen as its San Diego general manager for its new location at 4780 Mission Gorge Place, A-1. The San Diego store employs eight people specializing in the highest quality sign and lighting services, including a wide array of repairs and maintenance for custom signs, electronic displays, LED, neon and outdoor media.

Harmsen is a native of Salt Lake City and moved to San Diego in 2017. Previous to YESCO, he spent 15 years in the entertainment and media sectors. Harmsen holds a master’s degree in management from Columbia University. Other notable business achievements include founding the mobile ticketing technology company Text Me Tix Inc., and revamping KCSG Television to become profitable and ultimately acquired.

“We are pleased to offer YESCO’s industry-leading sign and repair services here in San Diego and I’m thrilled to be leading such a knowledgeable and talented team,” said Harmsen. “This new location enables us to serve the businesses in the area much more efficiently.”

Celebrating Heroes!

YESCO East Ohio (C & L Sign and Lighting) along with Graphic Detail, Inc. from Kent, Ohio treated the teachers and staff of Suffield Elementary to sub sandwiches and snacks on January 19. As a gesture of thanks, Craig and Lisa LeMasters, owners, acknowledged the countless selfless acts of kindness the school's team provides to the students. 

"While we are a small community, the impact that the schools show our students is nothing short of true compassion, and a magnitude of commitment.  Today’s elementary schools have more on their shoulders than ever to see that tomorrow’s students represent our future, said Craig."

Below is a copy of the letter sent to the school:

Dear Principal Bookman:

"As a local company in the community, we wanted to express our sincerest gratitude.  We are thankful and value that our schools ensure that our young students start off with the best opportunity of an education and the support needed while tackling the struggles of teaching in-class and remotely.  They tackle each day's challenge with a fresh beginning.  It not easy by any means to teach a classroom of young children, especially with the added obstacles of COVID, yet these fine individuals get up every day with bright smiles to push these children to overcome what they may encounter in their day-to-day lives.  We hope that our small gesture will brighten the day to all those teachers and staff that have made such a profound difference in so many lives.  As many of us are all going through our own personal hardships, losses, and daily hurdles, I hope that today that we as a community can give back to that special person that probably needs that kind word or gesture more than any of us will ever know.  No matter if it’s a thank you, or you did a great job, or just someone to listen to.

Thank you Suffield Elementary teachers and staff for being that light that shines on our children and in our community. "

Craig & Lisa LeMasters

YESCO Ohio East

Mrs. Bookman, Principal, Craig LeMasters, YESCO
YESCO and Vegas Sports Fans Welcomed Allegiant Stadium in 2020

Las Vegas sports fans welcomed the Raiders with open arms and so did YESCO.  We are proud to have been a part of their inaugural season and the opening of Allegiant Stadium.  The Raiders officially ended their first year in Las Vegas with an 8-8 record, going out on a high with a win. 

We wish the team the best in the off season and look forward to their home opener next fall.  Hopefully, COVID 19 will be a thing of the past and Allegiant Stadium packed with fans. 

YESCO Featured on Hello Mayor Program
Nine Historic Signs for Reno’s Neon Line District
Signage on Reno's Nine Line Fabricated and Installed by YESCO

YESCO Completes Restoration, Fabrication, Installation of Nine Historic Signs for Reno's Neon Line District

Click Here for Downloadable Photos

RENO, NEVADA (December 2020) YESCO, the 100-year-old Salt Lake City-headquartered company known for creating internationally recognizable signs, recently designed, fabricated and installed nine historic neon signs in Reno’s Neon Line District. YESCO was retained by development company Jacobs Entertainment for the project to preserve and protect signage from Reno’s historic West Fourth Street corridor. YESCO’s installation marks the end of phase two of Reno’s Neon Line as planned by Jacobs Entertainment. The third and final phase will be completed mid-2021.

Reno’s Neon Line District is an urban, multi-year, mixed-use master-planning effort in downtown Reno, Nevada, encompassing 20 city blocks from West Street to Keystone Avenue, and from Interstate 80 to West Second Street consisting of apartments, condominiums, retail stores, restaurants, art and neon lighting. The centerpiece of the district is the half-mile-long installation of historic neon tribute signage combined with an LED-lit knee wall and monumental art sculptures.

LIST OF SIGNS:

1) Ramos Drugs Co. – William Ramos opened his first location on Virginia Street in 1928 and operated like any common drugstore. However, Mr. Ramos also offered a soda fountain diner that occupied one side of the store.

2) Nevada U.S. 40 - The Nevada U.S. 40 sign was inspired by the location of the district. Reno’s Neon Line District is located on Fourth Street which, in the past, was the historic Nevada Highway 40.

3) Donner Inn – The Donner Inn, located on U.S. Highway 40, was a 34-unit motel built in 1950 in downtown Reno. The hotel was L-shaped and wrapped around the famous Chapel of the Bells wedding chapel. These attractions enabled the business to prosper for 67 years. The neon sign and crown on top are iconic to Reno’s hotel past.

4) Harold’s Club – Established in 1935, the Harold’s Club was a prestigious casino along Virginia Street in downtown Reno. The owners’ father, Pappy, was the face of the casino. They advertised on over 2,000 billboards across U.S. highways with the slogan “Harold’s Club or Bust!” which helped bring in customers. The casino closed in 1995 and the building was demolished in 1999.

5) Stag Inn – Originally located on North Virginia Street in downtown Reno, the Stag Inn opened in 1933 adjacent to the famous arch that reads “The Biggest Little City in the World.” Primarily a bar, at various times the Stag offered slots, blackjack, craps, roulette, poker and faro. The Stag Inn closed in 1960 and Lincoln Fitzgerald purchased the property.

6) The Downtown Bowl – Located on North Center Street, The Downtown Bowl opened in 1948 and was one of the first of its bowling alley kind, with 12 lanes and an automatic pinsetter in Reno. The lanes opened nightly for a multitude of bowling leagues and was best known for their annual Downtown Bowl Memorial Classic. In 1950, the Truckee River flooded the streets of downtown Reno and The Downtown Bowl was not spared. The Downtown Bowl was able to reopen after shoveling out thick mud and making repairs to the building. The Downtown Bowl stayed open until 1958 when it was purchased by a different company and relocated.

7) El Ray Motel – The El Ray Motel was built in 1964 and was located on Arlington Ave., just two blocks from the heart of downtown Reno and the flashy casino lights and neon along Virginia Street. The motel closed its doors in 2018. The eclectic neon sign is remembered as one of many famous signs that adds to the unique and nostalgic culture of Reno’s past.

8) The Gold Room – Located inside the Golden Bank Casino along famed Virginia Street in downtown Reno, The Gold Room was a successful burlesque club during the 1950s and 1960s. In 1962, an acetylene tank exploded in the basement of the property, completely destroying the hotel and damaging the casino. A year later, the casino and The Gold Room reopened under new ownership. In 1966, the property was sold to William F. Harrah and rebranded as Harrah’s Casino.

9) City Center Motel – The City Center Motel sign on Reno’s Neon Line is the only original sign and was restored by YESCO. The City Center Motel was built in 1957 and located on West Street in Reno, just a couple of blocks away from Reno’s vibrant Virginia Street. The City Center Motel was demolished in 2018.

“We are excited to be part of the revitalization of downtown Reno,” said Jeff Young, senior vice president and chief marketing officer, YESCO. “It’s gratifying to know our work will be viewed by visitors for years to come.”

FUN FACTS:

  • Eight of the nine signs on Reno’s Neon Line are tribute signs and were designed and fabricated to look like the originals in a tribute to Reno’s history.
  • The Nevada U.S. 40 sign was inspired by the location of the Neon Line district on Fourth Street, just past historic Nevada Highway 40.
  • Reno’s Neon Line District neon sign project took YESCO more than 2071 man-hours to complete.
  • YESCO worked over 208 hours to install the tape lighting portion of the project.
Happy Holidays
YESCO Presents Historic First Security Bank Sign
L to R: Lisa Eccles, Jeff Young, Ryan Young Paul Young

Click Here for Downloadable Photos and Video

SALT LAKE CITY (December 9, 2020): On Tuesday, Dec. 8, YESCO celebrated its milestone 100th anniversary year, as well as its decades-long business relationship with the Eccles family, by presenting a historic First Security Bank sign to Lisa Eccles at the David Eccles School of Business at the University of Utah. Also on hand for the presentation of the historic sign were Taylor Randall, dean, David Eccles School of Business at the University of Utah; Jeff Young, senior vice president, YESCO; Paul Young, executive vice president, YESCO; Ryan Young, fourth-generation Young family member and David Eccles School of Business alumnus.

In 1928, YESCO founder Thomas Young, Sr. created the original First Security Bank sign for brothers Marriner and George Eccles, the first leaders of First Security Corporation, then located in Ogden, Utah. Marriner was the first chair and CEO of First Security Corporation, followed by his brother George. Their great niece, Lisa Eccles, is the president & chief operating officer of the George S. and Dolores Doré Eccles Foundation.

The David Eccles School of Business is named for the father of Marriner and George and great-grandfather of Lisa. David Eccles immigrated to Utah from Scotland in 1863 and eventually became Utah’s first entrepreneur and one of America’s leading industrialists. In his 63 years, David Eccles founded 54 business throughout Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Oregon. In 1991, Emma Eccles Jones, the last surviving child of David Eccles, recognized her father by naming the University of Utah’s business school after him.

Also originally located in Ogden, YESCO was founded by Thomas Young, Sr., on March 20, 1920 as a purveyor of gold-leaf window lettering, hand-painted signs and engraved coffin plates. Today, the company is known for creating some of the most internationally recognizable, large-scale electric signs in the world.

The First Security Bank sign presented on Tuesday adorned the First Security Bank building at 79 South Main Street in Salt Lake City until 2000, when the bank merged with Wells Fargo. It will be permanently displayed at the David Eccles School of Business in the seventh-floor First Security Board Room. The room is a recreation of the original First Security Board Room and is filled with many historical photos and memorabilia.

Ballad of the Neon Cowgirl

How Vegas Vickie got her groove back (and the dents out) for a return Downtown.

By Ryan Slattery

A LAS VEGAS ICON is back. No, it’s not Cher or Celine Dion running out a new production show. This famous female is the old-school type, so she’s kicking it in Downtown Las Vegas at the recently opened Circa Resort & Casino. We’re talking about Vegas Vickie, one of the most recognizable neon signs in Las Vegas. Designed by electric artist Charles Barnard and first installed in 1980 above the Glitter Gulch façade on Fremont Street, the sign depicts a cowgirl in a form-fitting fringed outfit kicking a leg skyward.

Vegas Vickie immediately became a beloved cheerleader for Downtown’s Fremont Street and achieved global fame in 1994 when she married her neon “pardner,” Vegas Vic. In 2017, Vegas Vickie was plucked from her perch, packed in a crate and put in storage when casino owner Derek Stevens began demolition of the surrounding properties in preparation for a new resort. But Stevens didn’t want to let one of the city’s most famous neon works of art become a museum piece in the city’s Neon Boneyard.

Read full article at knpr.org

YESCO Completes City of Las Vegas Gateway Arches

LAS VEGAS (November 18, 2020) – The City of Las Vegas will illuminated its new, 80-foot-tall Gateway Arches spanning Las Vegas Boulevard between St. Louis and Bob Stupak avenues at the base of The STRAT Hotel, Casino & SkyPod. Conceived and designed by Selbert Perkins Design and fabricated and installed by YESCO, the 100-year-old company synonymous with Las Vegas’ most iconic signs, the archway marks travelers’ official arrival into the City of Las Vegas.

“Las Vegas is known worldwide as the getaway for the best in entertainment, fun, dining and convention business,” Mayor Carolyn G. Goodman said. “What better way to invite everyone into historic downtown than by this passing through this massive, new archway into the heart of a revitalized Las Vegas.”

“Ward 3 is a dynamic part of the city of Las Vegas and I am so excited to represent the home of this beautiful new gateway,” Ward 3 Councilwoman Olivia Diaz said. “I am sure these iconic arches will become synonymous with the fun and excitement of our city, as well as being a point of community pride for years to come.”

The blue illuminated arches form a towering gateway to the city’s burgeoning Downtown and feature a pink, retro-inspired Las Vegas emblem suspended above the boulevard. While the Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas sign at the south end of the Strip enjoys world renown, many people do not realize it lies outside the City of Las Vegas’ boundaries in unincorporated Clark County, Nevada. The new, brightly lit, Gateway Arches will welcome visitors to the city of Las Vegas as they travel north on Las Vegas Boulevard.

“YESCO has a long history of fabricating, installing and maintaining Las Vegas’ most internationally recognizable signs, and the Gateway Arches represent the newest monumental addition to that portfolio,” said Jeff Young, senior vice president and chief marketing officer of YESCO. “This project is history in the making, and we’re proud to have partnered with the City of Las Vegas and Selbert Perkins Design to bring it to life.”

Added Stephen Thayer, vice president and general manager at The STRAT, “The Gateway Arches are a striking landmark to designate what has long been the gateway from the Las Vegas Strip to the City of Las Vegas. We are thrilled that this beautiful monument has been erected just steps away from our iconic tower.”

“Selbert Perkins Design has been designing city gateways, public art and landmarks for over 30 years. We are honored to have worked with the City of Las Vegas to design its newest gateway which welcomes all to historic downtown,” said Robin Perkins, partner of Selbert Perkins Design. “Our thanks to YESCO for fabricating and installing this complex work. It’s been a fantastic collaboration all around!”

FUN FACTS:

  • One leg of the Gateway Arches weighs 18,400 pounds
  • Number of lights on the arches: 13,016
  • City Of Las Vegas emblem measures 20-feet x 40-feet and weighs 7,300 pounds
  • The entire arch draws over 61,000 watts of power
  • The arches are comprised of over 13,000 + RGB light-emitting diode (LED) pucks that are individually programmable
  • Over 700 feet of fully programmable RGBW LED Flex Neon, each pixel is 4.92 inches
  • Fully programmable, the color-changing sign contains more than 170 IP addresses
  • Each arch leg spans 140 feet across Las Vegas Boulevard
  • 900-plus LED lamps in the southern face of the hanging “Las Vegas” cabinet
  • Four footings were drilled with a drill rig and are 20-feet in depth x 4-feet wide with a steel reinforced cage

Other high-profile Las Vegas projects YESCO has fabricated and installed during its centennial year include the sign package for Allegiant Stadium, as well as interior and exterior signage for Downtown’s new Circa Resort & Casino.